[Zope] A plea for equality

Dave Fregon axxs at axxs.org
Sat Oct 18 07:47:28 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I have come across something that I think most people have come across
before in IT .. and in general .. something called sexism. Something a
female zopista told me today tipped me over the edge to write this .. it's
something I have seen myself on plenty of occassions ...

No this is not something 'rampant' in the community .. just something that
happens occassionaly .. and being one of those people that despise the
ignorance that leads to these types of comments .. have to say something. I
just wanted to ask everyone to think about the communities they are in, and
that they are made up of all sorts, and all types. Our IRC channels are
made up of them as well. A lot of the time these people stay 'quiet', and
learn and listen ... to developers that talk about their female
counterparts in derogatory ways .. as though the channels are made up up
macho men.

Knowing the community doesn't feel this way as a whole, I would like to say
to those few people to THINK before being so ignorant.

I know personally of people that are avoiding certain IRC channels due to
the fact they find them male dominated, and sexist, and I find this
SHOCKING. It's not in the people or who's there .. but some regular users
attitudes to a community they feel comfortable with as they are leaders or
regulars in their area.

I just want people to think .. if you want to talk about your relationships
.. or relationships, or peoples life choices in general .. be aware the
community is made up of ALL of them.

thanks for your time to read this ..

Dave