[Zope] Re: APE and version control?

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Mon Oct 20 14:03:43 EDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Johan Carlsson wrote:

> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Johan Carlsson wrote:
> >
> >>I'm a bit interested in what you meen by "apply version control to your
> >>objects". How would this work?
> >
> > Well, there is a strong distinction between the ZODB parts of Ape and the
> > actual serialization layer.  You can use the serialization layer for
> > purposes other than storing in a database.  You could write some code that
> > listens to events notifying that objects have changed.  The event handler
> > could serialize the objects to a version control system.
>
> Ok. Let me put it in this way :-)
>
> What I’m looking for is the possibility to implement an application
> level version control inside Zope.

Have you looked at the ZopeVersionControl product?  It gives you version
control, storing all revisions in ZODB.

> I guess revision could be handle in the same way as OID are handled and
> guide the gateways what revision to get?
>
> Would this be possible with the scenario you describe?

I think so.

> Also would it be possible to use a ZODB storage from the gateways? In
> other words stack a version-aware storage on top of another storage that
> implements the revision repository.

If I understand the question correctly, yes.  You could make gateways
store in ZODB.  OTOH, you could just use the ZopeVersionControl product
instead.  It would be much simpler.

Shane