[Zope] advice needed

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Oct 23 12:48:17 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 08:45:53AM -0700, Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
> >  What would you
> > suggest for a good solution and how do I learn the required skills in the
> > shortest amount of time?
>
> Start working on a real-world problem.  And have the Zope Book at your
> side:  http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current

Also, since zope is a quite different paradigm than what you're used
to, I'd follow the "Plan to throw one away" rule.
I'm still maintaining a site that was built by "porting"
a Weblogic Portal site to Zope. Let's just say it has some
serious code smell. I'm also still maintaining another site
built by the same group. It was their second effort and it's
*much* nicer.

> > Are there good comprehensive examples to look at?
> > It seems that I learn best from looking at other people's code.
>
> Zope comes with examples... I'd start by looking at those.

There's also a lot of good examples in the online Zope Book.

#zope on irc is a good resource too (when it's active... sometimes
it's pretty dead).  And this mailing list is invaluable.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com