[Zope] Searching across multiple indexes

Paul Howell paul at smoothstone.com
Tue Oct 28 22:08:27 EST 2003

 From one Paul to another Paul,

    To achieve boolean 'or' searches in ZCatalog, try something like this:

1. make a python script named description_notes, with the following one
line that concatenates your description and notes attributes.  place this
script down low in your zope so that it can be acquired from your catalog
and objects to be indexed.  no parameters are passed, only the context is
needed.

return context.description + '/n' + context.notes

2. create a new index in your ZCatalog called 'description_notes'.  Thanks
to acquisition, ZCatalog will find the description_notes script and run it
for each new object being cataloged.

Now the index will capture any term that is in the concatenated description
and notes field, which is perfectly equivalent to the boolean "or".  It
works for me.  Almost needless to say, don't bother keeping this combined
index term in your metadata :-)

=Paul