[Zope] Graphical visualistaion of possible Zope installations

Chris McDonough chrism at zope.com
Tue Sep 2 15:10:28 EDT 2003

Wow, that's a cool PDF!

I suspect it would be beneficial to have scaling information in a
graphical format (e.g. you have so many requests per second, you need
this number of CPUs, etc.)

Unfortunately, there are two main barriers to producing one:

1.  There is often not enough data.  No single entity has configured
    Zope in a very broad range of applications and testing is required
    for each configuration.

2.  For the configurations for which there is enough data, there are
    not many incentives to publish the information in this format.
    Most people here make their money on services, and obtaining
    enough data to come up with this chart is decidedly a service.
    The engine manufacturer is different inasmuch as they want to
    sell engines.  Nobody here has any engines to sell. ;-)

- C

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 07:50, Børge Kjeldstad wrote:
> Hei,
>

> recently I posted a question about the “Best possible Zope
> installation”. I received a lot
>
> ofinteresting answers. Out of them I read that the best possible Zope
> installation was
>
> dependenton, amongst other things, system requirements and user
> preferences.
>
> Within these dependencies there were quite a few options and a complex
> picture
>
> ofchoices. This made me think about how it would be to have a
> graphical presentation
>
> of the various options and choices.
>

> As my background is ship design and naval architecture rather than
> computer science
>
> (I often wish it was the other way around :) ), I have come across
> some good graphical
>
> visualizations for speed and power ranges of ship engines. These show
> pretty well
>
> whatengine you should choose if you need a specific power and speed.
> Now I wonder
>
> if it would be possible, and maybe beneficial, to have something
> similar for Zope?
>
> These would then incorporate things like average and peak load,
> storage management,
>
> securityand so on.
>

> To give some idea of the concept, I include here the link to one of
> Wärtsilä Diesels publications:
>

> http://www.wartsila.com/english/pdf/Marine/mps2003.pdf
>

> WärtsiläDiesel is a main international ship engine supplier.
>
> Browsing through this, in my opinion quite good, publication, will
> hopefully show some of the
>
> benefitsof such graphical visualization. If there is any problem with
> this link; use for instance
>
> googleto search for Wärtsilä Diesel, choose Wärtsilä Frontpage, choose
> Marine, choose
>
> Publications, choose Marine Power Systems
>

> Cheers
>

> Børge Kjeldstad

Chris McDonough <chrism at zope.com>
Zope Corporation