[Zope] PostgreSQL data base adapters recommendation.

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Sep 4 20:38:01 EDT 2003

>We have been using Zope+PostgreSQL for some time. Started using PoPy,
>later on PyGRES and currently we run on Psycopg.

>Question is, in your overall experience what is the best DataBase
>adaptor to use in Zope for PostgreSQL. ?

Well, you seem to have as much experience with the alternatives as
anyone. We use Psycopg and are happy with it.

>We will start developing our application routines directly in Python as
>Zope products, nevertheless, we are interested in accesing a DA
>connection created directly within the Zope Management Interface, that
>is,  just handling the actual SQL sentences from python sort of like
>this :
>
>  myDAConnection.query("select * from... ")
>
>Has any of you done this ? If so, with which DA ?
>
>We are looking into this since  handling the overall db connection, db
>opening cursors, reads, db close, etc. etc. within python would add some
>extra code and complexity into our application, rather than letting this
>to Zope.

Many of the products on my current project do this, or something
similar. You can do it directly, or use something like

http://zope.org/Members/jccooper/extzsql/

for inspiration at the very least. It does get statements from files,
but I imagine it could be extended easily.

                --jcc

--
"Code generators follow the 80/20 rule. They solve most of the problems, but not all of the problems. There are always features and edge cases that will need hand-coding. Even if code generation could build 100 percent of the application, there will still be an endless supply of boring meetings about feature design."
(http://www.devx.com/java/editorial/15511)