[Zope] very slow zcatalog

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Sep 8 03:32:24 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 04:15:23PM +1000, Shawn Day wrote:
> Paul, I removed the sort_on='searchValue', and results are returned much
> quicker if there are not many results to return. If there are lot of
> results than it is still pretty slow.
>
> The searchValue attribute is part of my index, so this shouldn't be a
> factor should it?

should be ok... and in fact now that i think about it, you'd probably
get an error if it wasn't one of your indexes.

> The server where the site is being hosted is still running zope 2.5, I'm
> pretty sure. Not a real lot I can do about this.

Too bad, you'd likely get a good speed boost from 2.6.2 or 2.7.
And I found that moving from 2.5 to 2.6 was painless.
(2.7 might be a bit more work to set up; there's a new config &
startup system.)

One other thing to check: if any of your indexes are for dates,
use a DateINdex rather than FieldIndex. You'll save some
memory that way and it might affect your RAMCacheManager (assuming
you have one). There was a recent thread about this on zope-cmf list.
I wouldn't guess that this directly affects the speed of searching,
but it does affect memory consumption. Not sure.
(Of course, memory consumption can affect speed drastically if
you're near the box's physical RAM limit and push it over the edge
into swapping heavily to disk...)

I'm out of other ideas at this point. Anybody else?

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com