[Zope] ZODB or MySQL for form data?

Jon Whitener wmmail at twmi.rr.com
Mon Sep 8 12:41:43 EDT 2003

At 11:32 AM 9/8/2003, paulporter at buffalotalks.com wrote:
>[...] Since I am starting a new Zope application, and will be creating new data files, is it better to use MySQL or ZODB to handle form data?

I think the ZODB is best suited to holding larger parts of your Web site, like entire Web pages, parts of Web pages (headers, footers), scripts, and at the smaller end images, etc.

I think tiny pieces of information like single records of form data are better held in a relational DB like MySQL.

Consider this: do you really want to have a single, independent Zope object for every record of submitted form data?  You will quickly have Zope folders with hundreds of items (listed alphabetically).  Such data records would be much easier to sort, access, and manipulate in a relational DB like MySQL or PostgreSQL.

Hope this helps and good luck,
Jon Whitener
Detroit Michigan USA