[Zope] ZODB or MySQL for form data?

Edward Muller edwardam at interlix.com
Mon Sep 8 11:49:42 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 10:32, paulporter at buffalotalks.com wrote:
> I'm coming to Zope from PHP where my database is MySQL. However I am
> wanting to move to Zope and am trying to learn the correct way of working
> in this platform.  I know that I can connect to MySQL from Zope but from
> what I read it appears that the use of this feature is recommended only if
> one is wanting to use an existing database. Since I am starting a new Zope
> application, and will be creating new data files, is it better to use
> MySQL or ZODB to handle form data?
>
> I would really appreciate hearing from experienced Zope users on this matter.
[snip]

Depends.

The ZODB is an object database with a tree like hierarchy. So if you
data fits well into that model feel free. If you do use ZODB you may
want to develop some objects in which to store your data.

If you data is highly relational something like Postgres or Mysql is
probably better.

In the end it depends on what you are familiar with and what the data
is.

You can even mix the two. :-)

--
Edward Muller

Interlix (http://www.interlix.com)
Phone: 417-862-0573 - Cell: 417-844-2435 - Fax: 417-862-0572

Web Hosting - PC Service & Support - Custom Programming - Network Service & Support
Specializing in Open Source Solutions