[Zope] ZODB or MySQL for form data?

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Tue Sep 9 11:15:16 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 22:45, kosh wrote:
> On Monday 08 September 2003 05:36 pm, Ed Leafe wrote:
> > On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 05:31  PM, J Cameron Cooper wrote:
> > > I'm a bit on the other side of the fence from most of the rest of the
> > > folks who have replied. My take on the matter is that unless you have
> > > a very compelling reason or need to use an external RDBMS you should
> > > keep everything in Zope.

I agree 100%, just on the merits of the ease of maintenance when your
data is in Zope.  Stuff like custom content types and Archetypes makes
it almost automatic to generate data entry/updating screens.  SQL-based
data has to have interfaces built from scratch...

Which brings me to a related question:

Imagine having the standard theoretical employee table in a RDBMS.
Other apps use it, so you can't put it into Zope.  What is the easiest
and most efficient method to provide data manipulation from within Zope?

For example, could you map an SQL query to a content type?  If so, would
it be able to handle updates?  And how would relational fields be
mapped?

-- Mitch