[Zope] Zope 2.6.1 and UTF-8

Giuseppe Bonelli giuseppe.bonelli at tiscali.it
Thu Sep 11 13:10:50 EDT 2003

Hi Chris,

[..snip..]
> > Finally, is ZCTextIndex compatible with either unicode or
> strings that
> > contain UTF-8 encoding?

On this I don't have a definite answer, but I can tell what I learned
during the development of a multilanguage xml CMS application where
unicode issues and searching capabilities are critical:

ZCTextIndex seems to work with unicode/encoded strings, but,
occasionally, I got strange errors from the Lexicon when using form's
field data encoded as utf-8 and containing non-plain ascii. Initially I
thought it was a problem in my code, but after double checking all the
encoding issues (exactly along the lines of what Toby says) I came to
the conclusion that the Lexicon code has something broken when using
utf-8 encoded strings (I didn't had time to test it with unicode types
instead of encoded strings).

I then gave a try to ZCTextIndexNG and all my problem got resolved
automagically (i.e. the searches which gave errors using ZCTextIndex
started to work as expected without any change in my python code).
Moreover I found ZCTextIndexNGis faster and features richer than
ZCTextIndex.

For me, therefore, the conclusion is: use ZCTextIndexNG.

> > cheers,
> >
> > Chris

Hope this helps,

__peppo