[Zope] Indexing and Searching through XML files

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Sep 13 07:21:44 EDT 2003

FNk wrote at 2003-9-11 10:23 +0200:
 > I got lots of XML-files(about 100.000) in a directory tree on my file
 > system. I want to publish those files using Zope/Plone.
 >
 > I need to be able to index them in their native format without having to
 > upload them in the ZODB, let users search their contents through zope, and
 > have the result displayed.
 >
 > Is it possible? Did anybody ever do this? Any suggestions?

You use an external search engine and interface it with Zope.
Chris Withers used JPE (Java Python Environment) and a standard
Open Source Java search engine (from the Apache project) to do something
like this.

You search Zope.org for a HowTo about ZCatalog indexing of
objects not inside Zope, something like "ZCatalog Everything".

I would go for the "external search engine" approach, especially
when your files were large.

Dieter