[Zope] PIL and TIFF problem

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Thu Sep 18 16:38:09 EDT 2003

On Thursday 18 September 2003 02:14 pm, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Borja Prieto wrote at 2003-9-18 13:11 +0200:
>  > I have installed Easy Image and PIL 1.1.4 on my Zope 2.6.1 with Python 2.1.3
>  > on Windows XP.
>  > It works well with jpg and other formats, but when I try to upload a TIFF
>  > image (wich is precisely what I want) it gives me the error:
>  >
>  > IOError "decoder tiff_ccitt not available"
>  >
>  > I have followed the guide on Zope.org
>  > (http://www.zope.org/Members/SmileyChris/howto/pil_for_windows) to install
>  > PIL, and I have no idea what can I be doing wrong. I will appreciate any
>  > help you could give.
>
> Thus, you have to study the PIL installation instructions to
> check
>
>   *  whether there is "tiff_ccitt" support at all for "PIL"
>
>   *  under what conditions it is available

TIFF is not fully supported -- it rarely is, because TIFF is a huge sprawling
standard that actually encompasses a number of different image
standards under one name.

In any case, the fact that you are getting this message means that

1) PIL *is* installed, and
2) PIL has a problem with the TIFF file

It may be due to lack of access to a needed shared object
(library).  For example, you'll get a similar message with PNG files
if the PNG library is not available.  Or it may be something not
supported by PIL at all.  But whatever it is, it's all internal to PIL,
not a Zope issue.

Cheers,
Terry