GNU tar damage for the 5000th time, was Re: [Zope] z2 startup exception

Dave Hall dave-zope at dnh.sk.ca
Mon Sep 22 22:07:18 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 03:56:51PM -0500, Terry Hancock wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2003 03:31 pm, Jamie Heilman wrote:
> > This is usually indicitive of Zope being unpacked with something other
> > than GNU tar.
> >
> > You know, for the frequency this problem occurs you'd think something
> > could actually be done about it that would solve it forever.  Waiting
> > for all the versions of tar in the world to suddenly agree on how to
> > handle path names containing over 100 characters isn't a terribly
> > effective approach.  What would be really swift, is if Zope Corp just
> > restructured their code so there were no longer any paths that
> > exceeded said limit.
>
> Well, since Gnu Tar is available to everyone, <snip>

So are most Windows viruses, that doesn't mean I should install it.

There are many operating systems that do not ship with GNU tar including
OpenBSD.  If old style tar works, then there is no need to upgrade.

Perhaps the solution is simply to add a note to the install instructions
indicating that one should probably use GNU tar or something that handles
long path names if/when problems are encountered.   Maybe it's already in
the FAQ somewhere and people just don't read it before screaming for help.
Yup, it's there, right at the top under Installing Zope, maybe it needs
pictures..

--

Dave