[Zope] Security of a Web Application in Zope

Edward Pollard pollej at uleth.ca
Wed Sep 24 13:32:37 EDT 2003

Hello All,

We've been working with Zope on a few projects, and have come to
realize that our development methodology has left some wide gaps in
security.

Let me demonstrate with an example:
The project heirarchy basically looks like this:

/root
   index.html
   otherfiles.html
   /queries
       all Z SQL Methods
   /scripts
       all python scripts

The problem as I percieve it is that you can feed my Z SQL Methods and
python scripts any input you want if you know what they are called.

This is bad. Security via Obscurity is not secure.

I *thought* that perhaps I could revoke all rights to Anonymous from
the methods and scripts, and then give them to Owner, and Proxy Role
the .html files to Owner, but that seems to block inter-script and
script-to-query calls. I would have to Proxy Role every object, of
which there is no easy interface to do so.

Anyone with better thoughts on securing my scenario? (Or, indeed, if I
need to turn my scenario on its head?)

Ed