[Zope] people structuring

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Sat Sep 27 01:44:15 EDT 2003

> My thoughts were that people are spread across our organisiation in
> different groupings, and
> may belong to more than one grouping.  Other 'objects' may contain
> these groups eg: a unit object
> has one or more lecturers, as well as many students. A committee
> object has members etc.
> What I wanted was to find a way to keep to the object oriented spirit
> of zope/python and to
> be able to express things like
>
> funCommittee.members.joe.shoeSize
> and
> mathsClass.lecturers.joe.shoeSize
>
> where joe's shoe size is not a property of 'joe the lecturer' or 'joe
> the committee member' but of 'joe the person'.
> And wouldn't it be nice if for some reason joe's feet swelled during
> lecturing and had a different size, and
> mathsClass.lecturers.joe.shoeSize could return  the correct shoeSize
> in this context!  (Something similar to
> aquisition but not quite as Units may not be within the Person
> structure).  Maybe I want a "Link Object"
> product where 'joe the lecturer'  is just a link to 'joe the person'
> but with aquisition rules following the link heirarchy.
>
> The above is probably mostly fantasy, so I'll investigate doing it
> with catalogues but don't know if it will be as pretty.

In Python products you can store references to existing objects, which
would allow multiple locations for people, after a fashion.

You might also want to look at something like mxmRelation, which allows
many clever things in this sort of domain.

There are also a host of "link-ish" products, like PortableHole, and
others. (You might search past postings for portableHole to find
comparables.)

            --jcc