[Zope] Re: Tracking upload of files to Zope

Gitte Wange gitte at mmmanager.org
Tue Sep 30 09:45:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:58:38 +0200, Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> Hi Gitte,
>
> Gitte Wange wrote:
>
>> So what I want, is to (while the upload is progressing) read the size of
>> the temporary file or at least see how many bytes is transfered.
>> Looks like some patching in ZServer ?
>>
>> Or is it impossible to do some hacking here ?
>>
> The question is: to where do you want to read the progress?

I want to display to the users how far their upload is ... at this moment
the browser looks like is has fallen a sleep.
And the people uploading files are not used to do that (very novice users)
so displaying and upload status to them would be nice.

> Most clients, however show you the amount of bytes already
> sent to the server, this should be informal enough.

Browsers?
No ... they just load the new page - that's what make the users think the
website has fallen into sleep and they start clicking all sorts of things.

> For every other approach, there is simply no channel in the
> HTTP-protocol to output the information to.
>
> So the question about how to get the information is completely
> secondary :-)

Hmmm .. so Zope doesn't know how much data it has received ?

> IF you want to watch uploads for debugging purpose, and files
> are huge, you can try "lsof" in the temp directory.

No - not debugging purpose but userfriendly (yikes!) purpose :-)

--
Gitte Wange
Technical Manager

Email: gitte at mmmanager.org
Web: http://www.mmmanager.org
Tlf: +45 36 46 20 02

After 1.5 years of Python, I'm still discovering
richness (and still unable to understand what the
hell Jim Fulton is talking about).

    -- Gordon McMillan, 13 Mar 1998