[Zope] ZSyncer

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Tue Sep 30 18:04:14 EDT 2003

>One way to help keep everything in sync is to reset the system clock
>on a regular basis.  On Linux, add the following line to your
>root cron file:
>
>47 23 * * * rdate -s time.nist.gov; /usr/sbin/hwclock --systohc

>If you need to really syncronize the clocks, this won't do it. You need
>some really heavy-duty mechanism.  (See Leslie Lamport's papers on the
>topic for an explanation....)  But for Sync's purposes, it's probably OK.B
>
>I presume there is an equivalent mechanism for Windows, but I don't know
>what it is.

ntpdate on Linux (and presumably any Unixish system) is a more accurate
choice. It'll get you as close as you can reasonably get.

There are Windows programs that will do this too. Back when I used
Windows I had one, but don't remember what it was called anymore. Check
Tucows or some such place. I think MS even stuck an NTP service (or
whatever) in one of its recent Windows. (The corresponding story is that
they also pointed it to a third party and didn't bother to tell them. A
good story if true.)

Not that I'm not veering off-topic or anything...

          --jcc
--

"Code generators follow the 80/20 rule. They solve most of the problems, but not all of the problems. There are always features and edge cases that will need hand-coding. Even if code generation could build 100 percent of the application, there will still be an endless supply of boring meetings about feature design."
(http://www.devx.com/java/editorial/15511)