[Zope] ZODB vs LocalFS

Chris Withers lists at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 06:28:18 EDT 2004

Ryan Boder wrote:

> These openoffice filess will be changed often and may be large. I think that
> ZODB keeps all old copies of a file each time it changes. Changing large
> openoffice documents all the time would make the ZODB huge, right?

Maybe, but pack often, and use BTreeFolder2's instead of Normal Folders.
This works for me, as well as storing that BTreeFolder2 in a seperate
FileStorage. That means I can pack that one often, while not loosing my code
history...

> I have also looked into using LocalFS and storing them on my file system. Is
> that the best way to go?

Maybe, it's certainly a possibility...

> Can I set ZODB to only keep the last 3 versions of a file and erase older
> versions all together?

not exactly, you can pack to the last day, or hour, or something like that...

> Also, as for LocalFS I could hardly find anything.

It's not very maintained, but does seem to be pretty stable...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk