[Zope] Keyword index negative query

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Mon Apr 5 09:13:53 EDT 2004

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 11:00:21 +0100
Chris Withers <lists at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

> Casey Duncan wrote:
>
> >>As you rightly point out, the "help" system is "dodgy" to say the
> >>least. What benefit sdoes setting sort_limit currently add?
> >
> > RTFM ;^)
> >
> > See: http://www.zope.org/Members/Caseman/ZCatalog_for_2.6.1
>
> It would be nice if, just occassionally, TFM was in one f'ing place
> ;-)

Hey, the link was to zope.org...

> > See search() method at bottom of:
> >
> > http://cvs.zope.org/Zope/lib/python/Products/ZCatalog/IZCatalog.py?rev=1.7&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> >
> > All this does though is remove dwim. It doesn't add new query
> > capabilities.
>
> Indeed, but what I meant was "couldn't the things 'search' calls be
> exposed such that they could be used to to complex searches, including
> my holy grail?"

Yes, and what I was saying was that no such interface to ZCatalog
exists.

> >>PS: I'm still after the holy grail of being able to do boolean
> >>combination of indexed searches and sort on multiple indexes in a
> >>cascasding fashion. How'd you recommend tackling that now?
> >
> > My CatalogQuery product (assuming it still works with 2.7)
>
> Hmmm, is that supported? Does it do sort on multiple columns?

Support is relative. It doesn't sort multi-column.

> >>PPS: Does Pypes make my holy grail possible?
> >
> > It will.
>
> Yay. Although, is there any reason why my holy grail shouldn't be
> possible using the ZCatalog data structures?

Depends on what you're holy grail is. pypes will support any ad-hoc
query. The ZCatalog index API is too limited for that.

It is possible to do multi-column sorting with the current ZCatalog data
structures. Maybe I'll throw you a bone and implement it, but don't hold
your breath ;^). OTOH, you can do it now by creating an index on
multiple attributes.

-Casey