[Zope] Re: [ZODB-Dev] Running Zope and ZEO server in one process?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 09:14:40 EDT 2004

Gfeller Martin wrote:
> I fear that a standard ZEO setup with one storage server, a
> read-write client, and a number of read-only client

That's "standard"? ;-)

> down affairs for the main Zope tasks, as there are quite a
> number of writes (no problem with a single server). Furthermore,
> it would probably increase memory requirements, as both the
> Storage Server and the Zope Servers would need substantial caches.

The storage server doesn't need much of a cache. The storage server seems to be
pretty light weight and very stable. I've never had one crash. Can't say the
same for Zope client servers ;-) (although ZEO means these restart much quicker
as they don't have to rebuild ZODB index files)

> Is there a way to run the ZEO server protocol in the main Zope
> server, i.e., have a single process that is both a Zope server
> and serves other ZEO clients? Are there other routes I should try?

How does having a single process help?
I think the answer to your question is "no, because no-one has found it necessary"

> I have also tried to simply open the ZODB DBs read-only from
> another process, but that doesn't give me the updates to the
> objects after the initial open.

That's playing with fire. Something in ZODB has a sync method you need to call
if you really want to get crispy...

The way that works for me is having a storage server and Zope client on the same
machine. If you need lots of Zope clients, then move them onto their own
machines :-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk