[Zope] Any Ad Hoc Query Tools

Ed Crewe Ed.Crewe at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Apr 23 09:27:35 EDT 2004

Hi Aaron,

I have a written a product to do what you describe - unfortunately it
isn't quite finished yet and is currently just designed to work with
Postgres and Oracle.

Called sqlizer - when added as a it gives you a an object that has a
data dictionary interface with more details than the standard DCConnection browse and
the ability to edit column comments. However the main features are that it
has methods for edit tables that don't require sql specification.

ie. sqlizer.table(self,table,REQUEST,action, args*) where table is the
table to be acted upon and action= update or insert. args* is optional
listing of fields if you don't want all form fields that are in the
table updated (and obviously REQUEST could be subsitituted by any
dictionary of data against fieldname keys).

There is also a multiedit function which includes a foreign_key_name
argument for bulk updates of related data.

The inputs are all validated against what is allowable according to the
data description of the tables fields.

For simple db work it doesn't give you many advantages but when you are
dealing with tables that often have more than thirty fields, and db
schemas that are liable to changes (as they all are!) it is invaluable.

Extra features that I will probably include (since I already have them
as external methods) are date time drop down generator / input handler
functions, basic ZPT web form generation from a tablename.

I am afraid I cannot say when I may get this done but since I have one
Postgres and one Oracle project that could do with this being
implemented as a product, and both projects with deadlines of early
summer. I would hope that I can at least move sqlizer to external CVS by
then.

Ed
 Ed Crewe    ( Web Developer - ID Group )       ed.crewe at bris.ac.uk
 Institute for Learning and Research Technology                ILRT
 University of Bristol Information Services         +44 117 9287083
 8-10 Berkeley Square, Bristol, BS8 1HH  http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk