[Zope] Re: Webdav and mimetypes - a conclusion

Ben Weiner, Text Matters ben at textmatters.com
Mon Aug 2 08:06:47 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, July 28, 2004, at 01:59  am, Marc Lindahl wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 27, 2004, at 11:02  AM, Kirk Strauser wrote:
>>> Yup. The stupid thing is that the Mac had this problem solved in
>>> 1984,
>>> with type/creator file metadata *sigh*.
>
> What's even more stupid is that, though they have this in OSX as well,
> Goliath on OSX doesn't use it properly, and/or the mac doesn't use it
> properly, and even worse there's no way (I can find...) to set up the
> built-in webdav's type translation.

I think what this thread showed (sorry I got to it a bit late) is that
Zope long ago outgrew its server-side web-interface life and that if
somebody were to bridge the quality-of-interface gap between the
excellent cgi server etc inside Zope and the rather terrible user
interface (only terrible because you instinctively want to be able to
drag and drop while preserving object metadata, or right-click to edit
properties, and you don't want to have to edit scripts through a web
browser's non-syntax-coloured <textarea>s)

If we also got a tight integration between local and server metadata,
so we could upload files intelligently into new Zope objects without
using a web form, then we'd win again. Personally, I don't really want
to see the join between Zope and my desktop unless I choose to :-)

Forgive me if I've missed any existing software that does these things
and tell me where I can get it!

Ben