[Zope] Re: MySQL thread connection question

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Aug 17 13:29:42 EDT 2004

Chris Withers wrote at 2004-8-16 13:42 +0200:
>Dieter Maurer wrote:
>> I never felt that the current way is wrong in any way.
>>
>> You may get a few extra connections but unless you litter
>> your site with redundant DA instances, that should not
>> make a big problem.
>
>They're not redundant if you have a policy that means different
>departments use different subtrees of aZODB,

Maybe, they should comminicate how to use resources in their
common Zope efficiently...

>and they each connect to
>different databases on different database servers.

You cannot pool connections when they go to different databases
or servers.

>Zope's current method is a cheap attempt at connection pooling without
>doing real connection pooling,

It is reusing the existing ZODB connection pool.
Reusing rather than reinventing is not so bad ;-)

>and one that uses _v_ variables in a very
>dodgy fashion...

The only problem with "_v_" variables is that they can disappear
at subtransaction boundaries.
A long time ago, I posted a "_p_sticky" patch to "zodb-dev"
that allows this to control. Unfortunately, the patch
did not yet go into the ZODB core (and I fear, it will not happen at all).

--
Dieter