[Zope] Performance problems after upgrade

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Aug 25 16:44:52 EDT 2004

I don't use Mysql ... And I use Zope 2.7.2 with Python 2.3.3.

But I have the RH7.3 with the same kernel ... On a 4 CPU machine.

I DID tweak the interpreter lock timing to try and improve performance ...
(Related to the GIL).

I used the guidlines from:

http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/solaris/report_ps

I have to admit I never truly benchmarked it, I just noticed it seemed to
perform better.

I'm not really spending too much time on it, as my focus now is to use
single CPU machines
for all things Zope/Python.

I've never noticed any unexplained "bursty" performance, we i do have it,
it's usually due to traffic,
bursts of requests, and so on ...  Today for instance I've been averaging 10
hits/sec and the site
is nice and fast.

With a 2 cpu machine you're less likely to feel the effects of the GIL issue
... In your case
I don't know what I'd suspect ... You might have to figure out exactly which
requests/threads
run for too long and figure out what they have in common. (Which you can
normally figure out just
by looking at the debugging screen).

If worst comes to worst, do some profiling?

J.F.