[Zope] Can Zope Do....?

Alan Snyder alan8373 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 19:01:20 EST 2004

Hi everyone. This is my first post and I'm deeply curious about Zope.
We're planning on some major product overhauls in our company and I
was wondering if Zope (at some level - even programmatically in python
if necessary) can do the following...

1) Authenticate against a SAML service or other XML based
authentication scheme. How about a kerberos service?
2) If I have a table of, say, 100,000 records in PostgreSQL, can I
configure Zope somehow to list a particular set of columns from that
table in a list, and also provide edit/add pages to modify and insert
records against the table? How hard/easy is it to do something like
this? Are there any frameworks or classes to aide with this kind of
stuff?
3) I know Zope has workflow, but can it be configured to work with
external workflow services like JBPM running on a Jboss server?
4) Would you say Zope is suitable for 'enterprise' development - i.e.
building things like Human Resource apps or an inventory module? I
love the python end of Zope and the GUI and interface but I'm curious
about the functional 'behind the scenes' features. I'm looking to use
Zope to develop a set of applications that have nice functionalities
and a nice look and feel as well, and I'm wondering overall, how much
Zope can be 'bent' into something that is not really content
management, but more like database records management, with workflow
and security, etc., via web services. I know this is a general
question, but any input is greatly needed and appreciated.
5) How friendly, overall, is zope with XML and web services like SOAP?
If this is just a function of Python, then that's good enough.
6) Finally, how is zope different / better than plone? They're both
CMS systems that seem to have a large following and a great API. I'm
very new to both but am leaning towards Zope because it 'feels' like
it can do more - however true that may be, at least that's what I
perceive.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I apologize for the newbie
questions as dumb as they may sound.

Alan