[Zope] GPL question

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Dec 5 13:19:20 EST 2004

Alan Snyder wrote at 2004-12-4 14:16 -0500:
>Hi everyone. I have a sort-of off-topic question about zope, plone and
>the GPL. If I write an application that sits on top of plone by using
>the CMF and the plone components and such, how must my portions be
>licensed?

The Zope/CMF parts do not require you to use a specific license
for your own parts.

Plone is GPL and as such it requires (as I understand the GPL)
that work based on Plone must use a GPL compatible license:
your own parts must be GPL, too.

I read a statement of *ONE* of the Plone authors containing
essentially: when you do not make any changes to Plone,
you can use it with your own non-GPL application.
However, it is unclear (to me) what "make any changes to Plone" means
(is customization a change to Plone, for example). And it may
well be that not all of the Plone authors view it that way.

To clarify this situation, you should directly contact
the Plone authors (and not ask the Zope (!) mailing list).

--
Dieter