[Zope] manage_menu spins forever on Zope 2.7.0/ZEO

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Dec 7 14:50:35 EST 2004

John Ziniti wrote at 2004-12-7 11:53 -0500:
>http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2003-January/130237.html
>
>This is Zope 2.7.0 on a Linux machine.  An added bonus is
>that I am actually using ZEO, and one of the ZEO clients is
>having this problem, but the other is not.
>
>I have tried to "Debug a Spinning Zope", but the process is
>not actually using any CPU, and I can't identify any "problems"
>in gdb.
>Anyone have any ideas on what I can try next?  The ZODB is freshly
>packed.  Does ZEO cache stuff anywhere?  Maybe that cache is spoiled
>on zeoclient2?

Maybe, delete it or use temparary cache files.

Look into your ZServer log file (usually called "Z2.log"):

  Do you see your "manage_menu" request?
  Does it have a 204 (no content) response code?
  In this case, something would have caused "manage_menu" to
  return a Python false value. ZPublisher turns such a value
  into a 204 response and almost all browser handle this response
  in the wrong way.

  If you do not see the "manage_menu" request, you may
  activate the "trace" logger (formerly called Big-M log).
  It logs 4 entries for each complete request.
  Missing entries indicate in which part of the pipeline
  the request got stuck.

--
Dieter