[Zope] Return image from Python Script

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Tue Dec 14 10:43:53 EST 2004

> I highly disagree. Filetype is inherent to the file. The suffix
> is just opaque and a relict of old operanding systems.
> I personally dont care on "anyone in the internet" because most
> people there have no clue at all :-)
> See the many references to index.html on sites.
>
> Even Apache can do without (visible) suffixes.
>
> Not using suffixes has a lot of advantages in Zope:
> you dont need to write container['file.suffix'] or
> getattr(). And you can freely swap filecontents
> without changing the name all the time. For example
> if you swap the .gif with a .png or .jpg where
> appropriate.

Let's agree to totally disagree. I personally have gone back to using
real extensions on all my own stuff as I re-do it. Not only are things
more obvious, I'm also helping log analysis tools and search engines
that way.

I also never saw a situation where it was important that something like
an image retain its (extensionless) name across image format changes.

Thirdly, code that uses direct attribute access like "context.myfile"
gives me the heebie-jeebies :)

jens