[Zope] Re: zeo.conf socket

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Wed Dec 15 11:39:08 EST 2004

Michele Marcionelli wrote:

> Since I am planing to run two zope clients on the same (dual
> processor) machine, I think that it is better to use socket (faster)
> instead of tcp/ip. Is that correct?

Configuring the ZEO server to listen only on a Unix-domain socket
doesn't allow you to scale as well, because it requires that the
appserver(s) run on the same machine as the storage.  Given that
restrictin, it should be faster than talking through the 'localhost'
interface (although 'localhost' access is often optimized by the kernel).

> You said that the 'socket-name' key in the <runner> section is not
> related to ZEO... but what is the <runner> section for?

The 'zopectl' process is a shell which talks to a "daemon manager"
process, which in turn forks and runs Zope as a daemon.  zopectl
communicates with the daemon manager via a Unix-domain socket, which is
configured (among other options) in the <runner> section.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com