[Zope] multiple zopes with apache

J Cameron Cooper xdoclet at jcameroncooper.com
Fri Feb 6 16:46:43 EST 2004

John Poltorak wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 11:34:05AM -0800, Sean Kelley wrote:
>

>>I just setup apache 2 on windows on port 80
>>Now I want it to proxy a few zope instances.  I setup zope to run on
>>8080 and all is well.  I have an apache subfolder proxying the instance
>>of zope.
>>
>>Question is, what is the best way to add addtional zope versions?
>>Should I just run them with another port number?  I assume that the
>>apache server will hand everything off as 80 so I could choose something
>>like 8081 for my second zope instance with no problems right?  Is this
>>how its normally done or is there another way?
>>

>Is this the normal way of handling virtual hosts? ie. a zope instance for
>each virtual host?
>
>Does it mean that each instance of zope uses its own database or do they
>use a common database?

No, but it's the only way of handling multiple instances (and thus
versions.) Necessarily each Zope must have its own storage, though it is
possible that that storage is ZEO and they all connect to a single ZEO
server somewhere. So it's possible to have the same ZODB accessed by
multiple Zopes with their own versions of software, but you have to be
careful not to screw things up if the data signatures of your products
differ between versions.

Usually a virtual hosting setup is single Zope with a VHM and Apache,
where each domain is mapped to an object in the Zope hierarchy by the VHM.

          --jcc

--
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."