[Zope] Building a site template

John Poltorak jp at warpix.org
Sun Feb 8 17:36:34 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 08:52:40PM +0000, Philip Kilner wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I know you'll hear others say this, but try ZPT if you can - it does my
> head in, and sometimes seems very cryptic, but it better defines where
> design/HTML end and function/Script begins.

Do I need Plone for that?

Where can I grab some sample ZPT pages, just to see what they look like?

> > I'm finding it a steep learning curve.
> >

> It is, or I find it so - I've been using it for a few years now, but am
> not a Zope developer as such - most of my solutions involve "stringing
> other people's pearls".

Well that is my initial intention. I don't want to go around invent a
square wheel when so much stuff has already been developed, and by people
who know what they are doing.

> How well do you know Python?

Not at all. REXX is my favourite language, but I don't really want to get
too deeply into the nooks and crannies of Zope. I just want to be able to
build and manage fairly static web pages with the occasional bit of
updated content, and the ability to transform standard templates with the
use of themes.

> > Do they both need to installed or can I install them independently?
> >

> Plone sits on CMF, which sits on Zope, which sits on Python.

Plone on top of CMF on top of Zope on top of Python all installed and
managed remotely, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. There's just
too much to go wrong, but I'll persevere in the hope that it may
eventually work...

> Plod through he tutorial and try to meddle with the examples installed
> with Zope - and come back and ask here. Zope is a great environment and
> this is a good list - so good that it's sometime hard to remember to
> google first! <grin>

Does Plone come with its own tutorial?

I still can't get my head around what it provides.

--
John