[Zope] Re: Authentication problem -- worked around

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Feb 12 15:30:17 EST 2004

Jim Harrison wrote at 2004-2-11 23:18 -0500:
>After moving the login script to the root folder, all pages in subfolders
>behave perfectly in Safari -- thanks! However, the problem persists in IE 6
>(Win) and Firefox 0.8 (Mac). The browser login window appears after clicking
>the login link but the page links do not change after login and
>re-direction. If I then type the name of the edit form page template, I can
>edit the text of the page without additional login. When I save the edited
>page, it now shows the correct list of links.

This may be a cache issue: Your page (without the "edit" button) might
be cached and served from the cache. Force your browser to
reload the page and see whether this changes something.

The HTTP 1.x spec says that browsers *SHOULD* automatically
send authentication information for requests into the
subhierarchy. It does not say that they *MUST* do it.
Some browsers (among them some IE versions (5.0)) are known
not to follow the "should" of the HTTP spec. I never heard
the IE 6 belongs to these browsers. I never heard of "Firefox".

>However, if I clear out the Firefox cache and cookies and
>set the cache size to 0, the problem persists.

Thus, you already ruled out the caching issue.

BTW, there is an easier method to force a reload a page (bypassing any cache).
Usually, it is "shift-reload". But this may vary for different browsers.

>It would be of interest to know what the management interface does to force
>everything to update.

Nothing.

You can analyse such questions with a TCPLogger.
Shanes "tcpwatch" is one possibility.
You would watch out for the "Authentication" request header.

--
Dieter