[Zope] Proxy Error

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Sun Feb 15 08:47:34 EST 2004

Hi John,

John Poltorak wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:37:56AM +0100, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>
>>Hi John,
>>
>>John Poltorak wrote:
>>
>>>I have suddenly started getting a 'Proxy Error' msg when accessing my Zope
>>>site which uses Apache to redirect specific requests to Zope.
>>>
>>>I can access other virtual hosts running hosted by Apache, and I can get
>>>to my Zope site if I specify port 8080, but for some reason just
>>>
>>>http://www.myzopesite.org/
>>>
>>>returns a 500 Proxy Error
>>>
>>>reason: Host not found
>>
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>This is pretty clear!
>

> Not to me it isn't. If you know why then please explain.
>

>>>Can anyone suggest what is wrong?
>>>
>>>It would appear to be an Apache error. Can anyone suggest where I look for
>>>the source of the  problem?
>>
>>Look how you specified the host name in your apache config file.
>

> It has been working from the time I set it up about a week ago and there
> have been no changes that I am aware of since.
>

>>I mean the hostname of the Zope instance. Try to resolve this
>>name with dig, host or even ping. I suspect it does not work
>>due to changes in your DNS or something like that.
>>Just enter the servers you are always dealing with into their
>>/etc/hosts file to avoid problems with DNS (long timeout, disappearing
>>like you experienced)
>

> I don't think host name resolution is the problem here.

Looks a bit ignorant imho. "I dont know what it is but I know it
isnt that."

"Host not found" is pretty clear. Something was searching for the host
and did not find it. Searching hosts in internet is usually not
envolving google but DNS. So your DNS seems screwed up and this
isnt nessecary local to your server host.

Try the tests I suggested above.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain