[Zope] reusable edit form for structureddocument

Kevin Worth kworth at engin.umich.edu
Thu Feb 19 11:18:44 EST 2004

Hi-

I'm trying to write and edit form that will be usable for several
StructuredDocuments, and something is not quite right.  I can get an
edit page for a particular page working, but not for a multiple
documents.

for instance, if I want to edit index_html is use:

<textarea name=stuff rows=30 cols=100><dtml-var "aq_parent.index_html">
</textarea>

and it puts the contents of index_html and everything is fine.
However, if I try to pass the id of the file as a parameter to the
form, using the code

<textarea name=stuff rows=30 cols=100><dtml-var "REQUEST.file_to_edit">
</textarea>

renders 'index_html' (not the contents) in the textarea.
(file_to_edit is the parameter that stores the id of the file to be
edited) So obviously it is rendering a string 'index_html' instead of
an object called index_html.  I'm missing something obvious, but I
can't figure out how to get it working.

I'm also open to moving this to python/zpt if that makes it any
easier, I just know dtml better, so I started there.

thanks

Kevin