[Zope] Newbie Acquisition Confusion

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Feb 20 17:46:41 EST 2004

Murray Pearson wrote at 2004-2-19 15:31 -0700:
>Also within the "journal" folder will be one or more folders for each
>journal, let's call them "abc" and "xyz". Each of these have their own
>SQL database connection and their own "skin" folders, to override the
>default appearance.
>
>It seems to me that the "skin" folder inside "abc" or "xyz" should
>override the "skin" folder inside the root, for every subfolder of
>"abc" or "xyz". But it doesn't -- except DIRECTLY inside "abc" or
>"xyz".
>
>http://server/journal/ <-- gets default presentation, as expected
>http://server/journal/abc <-- gets ABC presentation, as expected
>http://server/journal/abc/manuscript <-- gets DEFAULT presentation!!!

Essential rule for Acquisition:

	  Containment before Context

Read the "Name lookup" section of

  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope/book/chap3.html>

for more information about acquisition.

The application you describe is best solved with the
CMF's SkinsTool.

My "SkinnedFolder" is a tiny layer on to of it to make
skinning available outside of CMF portals.

  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope>

--
Dieter