[Zope] Command line access to Zope data

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Feb 20 18:35:18 EST 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 11:24:10PM +0000, John Poltorak wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 06:03:52PM -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:

> > > You can use a ZEO debug session to connect a Python console to a live
> > > Zope server. I do this all the time, and it's great.
> > >
> > > You could presumably also go about this with FTP.
> >
> > or webdav.  I haven't tried either with plone lately.
>
> I don't know anything about webdav. Is there a definitive reference for
> it?

http://webdav.org
Zope has a built-in webdav server.

> As for use FTP, how would I use that? I presumed that Zope stored data in
> its own database, so wouldn't I need to import the uploaded files into
> that database?

Zope has a built-in FTP server. You can ftp directly
to Zope.  Plone allows you to configure what content types
it creates based on MIME type. I forget exactly how,
I think it's documented in the plone book.

> > > You can also make your own tools to interact with Zope via
> > > XML-RPC or in a RESTful manner (wget can be a REST tool).
> >
> > Yes, this is covered in the Advanced Scripting chapter of
> > the zope book, way down at the bottom:
> >
> > http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/ScriptingZope.stx
> >
> > Look for the "Remote Scripting and Network Services"
> > section.
>
> Where would I find the format of something like a News item?

In general, for this kind of question, you figure it out
by looking at HTML source. In this case, view source of
the news item edit page. From that you can figure out where
to post to, and what parameters to pass.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com