[Zope] FTP and firewall

Robert Jean robertjean2 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 13:05:22 EST 2004

Hello,

For users on the internal network, the Zope 2.6 FTP
server works fine. However, we wish to expand the
application to distributed clients over the internet.
The hardware used is a CISCO PIX 501 firewall. The
current settings are as follows:

access-list outside-in permit tcp any host <WAN IP
ADDRESS> eq 8021
static (inside,outside) <WAN IP ADDRESS> xxx.xxx.x.xxx
netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

The problem is, I suspect as per the FTP protocol, the
client decides the local socket of the data channel
(not very good for firewall support). However, I have
been successful with other standard FTP servers using
similar treatment. Is there a resolution to this
issue?

Thank you,
Robert