[Zope] CookieCrumbler Authentication

kittonian kittonian at macgenius.net
Wed Jan 7 04:02:40 EST 2004

Ok.  I've got SimpleUserFolder all setup and working properly (even authing
users against a pgsql db which is cool).  Since SUF only supports basic HTTP
authentication and I need to have a login form and use cookies to properly
authenticate users it was suggested that I use cookie crumbler.  I've got
that installed and I sort of see how it all works but I'm not sure how to
proceed at the moment.  Here's my folder structure:

/folder/foo/index_html (this is the ZPT I've created (I've also duplicated
it as a dtml-document just in case I'm supposed to use a dtml-document
instead of a ZPT to make this all happen) that has a form element in it so
users can type in their username and password and login to the protected
portion of the website)
/folder/foo/members (this is the protected portion of the website)

What I need to do is have users authenticate via the index_html page and be
taken to www.foo.com/foo/members.  Additionally I need to display a message
to the user if their authentication fails (i.e. take them back to the
index_html page and show them a msg that says the username and password
entered is not valid, please try again).

I was told that if I add a cookie crumbler instance in the same folder as
the acl_users folder (currently locate at /folder/foo/members/acl_users)
basic HTTP authentication would be disabled and cookies would be used.
There are very limited docs on this subject it seems.

How do I make this happen?