[Zope] Scrolling Tables

Goldthwaite, Joe invalid at bar-s.com
Wed Jan 7 13:28:44 EST 2004

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>To me that sounds like a pure HTML issue that has nothing to do with
>Zope.

It is an HTML issue but HTML doesn't have an easy way to do it. I hoped
that there might be some sort of plug in that someone here had worked
with.  Something that could work with Zope.

Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
>You could hack this together using DHTML/JavaScript with frames.

>Use JavaScript to measure the columns as rendered and squeeze a
matching
>header into a frame just above the table.  Won't be trivial, but it
>should definitely be possible.

This is probably the best suggestion but it's beyond my current
abilities.  I didn't know that JavaScript could read the column
headings.  Does Jython allow you to do this kind of scripting using
Python instead of Java?  I'd rather not go back to a second language.

Jim Washington wrote:
>Not a zope question, but there is overflow:auto in css, which solved
>some similar problems for me.

Thanks.  That does help with some of the other things I've been working
on but it doesn't help here.  The problem is that the entire table still
scrolls causing my column headings to scroll off the top.   The only way
that I can see to keep this from happening is to split the headings into
a separate table but since the column widths are determined by the data
in the table, the column headings won't match up.

I'll explore Dylan's suggestion but the complexity means I'll have to
save it for later.  It feels like I'm reinventing the wheel here.  This
seems like it should be a common problem that something in HTML should
be able to deal with automatically.  Oh well.  I guess you need to deal
with what is not what should be.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Joe Goldthwaite

Property of Bar-S Foods. This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately at 602.264.7272 or postmaster at bar-s.com.