[Zope] urgent: problem with dynamic pdf

bill tolbert tolbert at rhoworld.com
Wed Jan 7 18:44:23 EST 2004

Fabian,

I do something very similar but I only send the data. In the pdf's
submit action, I send the form as html, not the entire pdf. On the
server, I save the form data to a database. Then, when someone wants to
print that particular form, the data are retrieved from the database and
are passed back to the pdf form.

You have two options for getting data back into the blank pdf: Adobe's
fdf format or xml. I'm using xml; they call it an xfdf file. The format
is easy to understand (fill out a form and save the form data as xml
from within Acrobat -- then examine the file).

You create the xml which includes your data values, and you include a
link to the actual pdf file you want to receive the data. In my setup,
the xml file is sent to the browser, which loads the pdf plugin, which
fetches the pdf and fills in the values.

> Therefore, I'd like to send the PDF to a python script, change the
> name, and email it to the company from there. I played with it a bit,
> and I can reach the destination script, but I have no idea what
> happens to the PDF. I expected it to show up in file, but nothing.
> i supose it's possible to access the data in the REQUEST object and
> redirect it into  file but how?

I had trouble getting at the actual file data in the REQUEST object
myself. My guess is Adobe is doing something odd.

Good luck,

Bill