[Zope] CMFStaging, ZEO

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Jan 15 14:00:56 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 05:04:00PM +0000, Michael Havard wrote:
> Are there particular products you suggest that would be useful to
> accomplish this.
>
> For instance is there a particular product that you use for getting objects
> down to the file system (ExtFile, LocalFS, Files System Directory View).

depends what you need ...
ExtFile only does a single file, the others do a whole folder
(and subfolders).

> Would the files then be editable from both the ZMI and the FS or just one.

LocalFS: ZMI & filesystem editable.
FSDirectoryView:  filesystem editable only, not ZMI.
ExtFile: don't remember, i think it's filesystem only.

> Could we also use one of the ZOPE CVS products or are you strictly using
> the FS, an external editor, and CVS from the FS.
>
> I've used zsyncer in the past and it's worked fairly well and I'm
> comfortable using it again if necessary. Is there a method for triggering
> it from the command line.

As with anything in zope, you could write a script that
constructs and visits a URL. Could be written with sh / wget,
python, perl, whatever. This is discussed in teh online Zope Book,
"Advanced Scripting", near the end of chapter.

Look at the HTML of the zsyncer forms and you'll be able to
figure out the variables to pass.

> Any products to help keep the site content seperate from the code. I've
> looked into using DBTab to mount an external db but I've seen a few posts
> with problems using it in plone.

if you're using plone, your content should already be well separated
from your software. All TTW software (scripts & templates) for
CMF / Plone should be in the skins. Therefore you can either put it
in standard Zope folders and sync using zsyncer, or put them on the
filesystem, point a FSDirectoryView at the directory, and
sync the filesystem stuff via your favorite file transfer mechanism
(i like rsync).

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com