[Zope] ZODB limits

Shane Landrum srl at boston.com
Fri Jan 23 10:23:31 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 05:11:46PM +0200, Heimo Laukkanen wrote:
> >From: "WebMaster at solari.it" <webmaster at solari.it>
> >Is somebody aware of **fully-tested, real-world** applications with
> >multi-GB storage or, in other words, should I stay with ZODB or search
> >for alternatives?
>
> Well Zope corporation has experience of tens gigabytes of data in
> FileStorage ( Data.fs ) in ZEO enviroment, so that shouldn't be the main
> issue. Larger issue is how fast your system will be for uplaoding and
> downloading the data from ZODB. Zope sucks big rocks in handling big
> files, so that might bring your system down or force you to bring in more
> machines into cluster - or move storing and serving large files outside
> ZODB.

Yeah, capacity planning and cluster design is critical here.
For a large data store, you really want to have multiple Zopes
talking to each ZEO. You also might consider using DBTab so
that you can run multiple ZEOs for each Zope--- it lets you treat
ZEO servers approximately like you'd treat NFS mounted filesystems.

We're running a content data store that's about 17GB right now,
though it was recently packed (so it has been larger in the past).
It runs on an enterprise-class Sun box, though I don't know
how large that box is. (I am not a sysadmin.)

srl
Shane Landrum, Software Engineer    srl at boston.com
boston.com / NY Times Digital