[Zope] Best practice in Zope-hosting?

Mark McEahern mark at mceahern.com
Mon Jan 26 22:45:45 EST 2004

Steen Suder, privat wrote:

> I'd like to setup a small Zope-hosting operation.

[...]

> Now, after successfully making it work as intended, I have second
> thoughts as to if not this method is overkill for most people. That
> is: having a separate Zope instance for each customer.

[...]

> Which way of "offering Zope" to customers seems to be considered best
> practice?

Reasons to have one instance per customer:

- Distinct quality of service.
- Ability to restart instances on a per customer basis.
- Distinct Products offering.

Of course, you have more overhead with each instance in terms of CPU,
memory, etc.

My suggestion would be to start with single instance and grow from
there.  But this is something I'm learning too.

Cheers,

// m