[Zope] Getting Zope/CMF to work on HP-UX

Damien Wyart dw at nuxeo.com
Thu Jan 29 00:27:12 EST 2004

Hello,

I have been trying to run Zope/CMF on a HP9000/800 machine (rp5430,
HP-UX 11.00) for several full days, with no luck.

I got advice from various people, but the problem is always the same :
after a few steps in the creation process of a CMF site, python goes in
an infinite loop, using 100% of the cpu it is on. The log file doesn't
indicate something special. It just stops being fed. The same happens
simply in the ZMI if I want to select the view of the error_log object.

The feedback I got mentioned a classical threading problem. I had first
compiled python with gcc, and as people said it was its fault, I
switched to c89+aCC (from HP), and tweaked the python Makefile a lot
(including -D_REENTRANT and -lpthread flags in various places). I also
patched my system with a cumulative patch for libpthread and a patch for
c89 found in the HP database by typing "Python" in their search engine.

All this changed *nothing* : the problem is the same in every config I
tried.

So my question is very simple : has someone been able to run Zope (and
CMF) on this (or a similar) platform ? I feel very disappointed having
lost all that time for nothing, but anyway, the server is here and I am
seen as the "bad guy" when I tell the managers that we can't run our
brand new intranet (powered by Zope/CMF) on (so expensive) machine... My
suggestion on buying a PC has not made them smile at all.

Many thanks in advance for any help,

--
Damien Wyart