[Zope] importing an existing python module into Zope python script? FIXED!

Sean whysean at softhome.net
Sat Jan 31 16:44:11 EST 2004

Rachel,

Glad you got it working!

One thing that occurred to me is that your imported module probably will not
auto refresh, except when the code in in the GlobalModules directory is
changed. I think the auto refresh thing just checks the file dates on the
files in the product's directory. The solutions that occur to me are: 1.)
Move your code into that directory so that Zope sees it all as part of the
same product (maybe a symbolic link would work for this?) -- 2.) write a
script that "touches" the wrapper file whenever you save changes to your
other code. -- 3.) edit the Zope code such that it auto refreshes every
time, rather than just when a file has changed (this would cause things to
run slower). -- or 4.) You could just click the refresh button every time
before you test.

4.) might just be the best option, as this will also display errors in your
code when it can not refresh. When Zope fails to auto refresh, do to an
error in code, it just happily runs the old code - this can lead to some
frustration when you get used to it refreshing for you, and then can not
understand why the new code you just wrote isn't doing anything new.

Cheers.

--Sean