[Zope] exceptions/documentation problem

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Jul 16 15:36:15 EDT 2004

Marcin Dobrzycki wrote at 2004-7-16 13:11 +0200:
>Hi, this mail is because of lack of Zope documentation. I got to call
>method of one of the ZopeObjects (Folder). Is there any docs about what
>exceptions can be thrown? Could you give me some links to it.Thanks.

Why do you want this information?

Note that it is *very* dangerous to catch exceptions.
When you do, your chance is quite high that you make your persistent
state inconsistent -- one of the most horrible things that can happen.

Handle exceptions only in your "standard_error_message".
Protocol it for your developers in precisely the form you
get them ("error type", "error value" and traceback). It provides
extremely valuabe information to fix problems.
Convert them for your end users in crude categories based
on the HTTP response code (name "status") -- 4XX codes means: dear user,
you did something wrong (the "XX" classifies what the user did wrong);
5XX codes means some technical problem on the server.

>P.S (Disclaimer)
>Maybe not very best place fot this kind of post, but couldn't find better.

This has been the correct place...

--
Dieter