[Zope] zope ftp and firewall

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Sat Jul 17 13:34:52 EDT 2004

Hi there,

For some time (since I updated to 2.7) I can not reach my sites that are
behind a firewall.

Both, client and server use Linux (SuSe 9.1 and 8.2)

Here a typical session:

robert at salome:~> ftp salome.redcor.net 8121
Connected to zope3.aemmenet.ch.
220 zope3 FTP server (Medusa Async V1.23 [experimental]) ready.
Name (salome.redcor.net:robert):
331 Password required.
Password:
230 Login successful.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> passive
Passive mode: off; fallback to active mode: off.
ftp> passive on
Passive mode: on; fallback to active mode: off.
ftp> ls
500 'EPSV': command not understood.
227 Entering Passive Mode (193,246,254,160,67,11)

And then nothing happens anymore..

 From the FTP documentation I learned that passive FTP negotiates a
second control board which is in the case of the given example

67 * 256 +11 = 17163.

This port is blocked by the firewall.

I do not know who is setting this port (client or server) and how to
control the range from which is selected.

Any help is appreciated

Robert