[Zope] Zope/Upgrading & Change Management: Suggestions?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Jul 19 16:19:43 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 02:06:00PM -0400, Jake wrote:
> Simple.
>
> #1 Rule: BACK UP (and know you have a good back up) before you do anything.
>
> > 1. What are some gotchas to be careful about? Where do the difficulties
> > usually occur?
>
> Some product breaks with an upgrade is the worst I have seen (4 years of
> Zoping)

I didn't see much of this recently except a couple things broke
with moving from 2.6.2 to 2.7.0. I had to upgrade LocalFS, not much else.
But it did take me a long time to thoroughly test everything and
reach that conclusion.

> > 2. How can you ensure that you can revert back to the previous install?

Keep the complete previous install in its own INSTANCE_HOME
and software home.

> I back up everything. Twice. And take a copy locally. And burn that to
> disk (CD/DVD) and take it to work (offsite). No. Seriously, I do.
>
> > 3. How can I check for dependencies before doing an upgrade/install?
>
> Never been able to do this. I just install and check out.
>
> > 4. Is it necessary to backup the Data.fs everytime you update/upgrade
> > things?
>
> Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Unless you like pain.

I haven't had Data.fs pain from an upgrade yet in 3 years,
but I back it up anyway :-)

> > 5. How do you keep a log of upgrades/patches?

upgrades or patches to what?

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com