[Zope] weird urllib.addinfourl problem found via RDFSummary

Marc Lindahl marc at bowery.com
Thu Jul 22 21:20:51 EDT 2004

On Thursday, July 22, 2004, at 03:33  PM, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Marc Lindahl wrote at 2004-7-21 14:22 -0400:
>> I ran into a weird problem with urllib recently (python 2.1.3 that
>> comes with zope 2.6.2)... I would get an error that an __init__ needed
>> to be called with an instance as the first argument (unbound
>> method)...
>> from within urllib, when RDFSummary tried to open a URL.  Well,
>> monkeypatching urllib fixes it.  But I'm wondering, is this a known
>> issue or is there something mutated about my setup?
>
> The problem is in principle known and documented in the
> "ExtensionClass" documentation -- together with a work around.

Yes, as you see from my example I patched the class in urllib with the
prescribed workaround, and it works.  But it's odd that I have to patch
a core python library, that's what I am referring to when I ask if it's
a known problem....

> I am not sure whether the specific problem is know.
> Maybe, you contact the "RDFSummary" author?

AFAIK there is nothing specific to that product, it's using open() etc
in exactly the prescribed manner (of course there are other problems
with that product, especially the inadequate home-made parser).  Just
that it was the first time I'm using something to exercise that library
call AFAIK.